Thylacine Studios - Forum

Monsterology 101: Raiko's Monster Ideas  (Read 651 times)

Offline Raikomaru

• Pro Monsterologist, Berserker Fiend Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Monsterology 101: Raiko's Monster Ideas
Reply #104 June 09, 2019, 06:18:28 AM
And here's the Chaos one: the Damnatii, monsters wrought of cursed flesh and metal who wield traits that increase the damage they deal to, and decrease the damage they take from, enemies with certain debuffs!

I based these, to some extent, on another game from my youth: the first Legend of Legaia(yeah, another game I bet some of you never thought I'd referrence!). Specifically, on some of its Seru-type enemies.

Monster Class: Damnatus
Element: Death
Role: Durable DPS(good DEF and HP, okay ATK, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Zenoir Damnatus
Trait: The Flaming Fist(Fiery Doom Essence)
Effect: This monsters deals 50% more damage to, and takes 50% less damage from, creatures with Burn.

Added Monster: Theeder Damnatus
Trait: Twisting Laser(Piercing Doom Essence)
Effect: This monsters deals 50% more damage to, and takes 50% less damage from, creatures with Grim.

Added Monster: Viguro Damnatus
Trait: Plasma Squall(Electric Doom essence)
Effect: This monsters deals 50% more damage to, and takes 50% less damage from, creatures with Shock.

Added Monster: Mushura Damnatus
Trait: Hellwheel Rampage(Spiky Doom Essence)
Effect: This monsters deals 50% more damage to, and takes 50% less damage from, creatures with Fright.

Added Monster: Puera Damnatus
Trait: Warping Voice(Sonic Doom Essence)
Effect: This monsters deals 50% more damage to, and takes 50% less damage from, creatures with Confuse.

Added Monster: Freid Damnatus
Trait: Ice Cold Depths(Frigid Doom Essence)
Effect: This monsters deals 50% more damage to, and takes 50% less damage from, creatures with Drowned.

Added Monster: Swordine Damnatus
Trait: Sonic Slicer(Gusting Doom Essence)
Effect: This monsters deals 50% more damage to, and takes 50% less damage from, creatures with Silence.

Itherian Monster: Baelselk Damnatus
Trait: Cursed Rage(Itherian Doom Essence)
Effect: This monsters deals 50% more damage to, and takes 50% less damage from, creatures with Curse.

Special Monster: Aluru Damnatus
Trait: Wave Cannon(Glowing Doom Essence)
Effect: This monsters deals 50% more damage to, and takes 50% less damage from, creatures with Vulnerable.

Disclaimer: Values shown may change at the devs' discretion. Also, I'd love to be involved in the design if this goes through.

(Final Monster Count: 820)
Even in the last moments of the finale, a Monsterologist's inspiration will shine through!

Offline Raikomaru

• View Profile
Reply #103 June 09, 2019, 05:21:12 AM
Remember that part, with the Primordials, where I said that everyone has a THING, and mine is imposing-looking monsters that look best leading a crew? Well, I've got those for the Chaos and Death elements too. Here's the Chaos one: the Piledrivers, powerful creatures who level terrain, and have traits dealing with Burn and Stun!

In the most simple terms, I based these guys off of the aesthetic of Diablo 3's Hammer Lords, being tall guys with hammer arms that reach to the floor. But that's not ALL I'm basing them on: I'm also borrowing from various monsters from Azure Dreams, a PS1 roguelike game from my youth.

Monster Class: Piledriver
Element: Chaos
Role: Mainline DPS(good ATK and DEF, okay HP, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Smash Driver
Trait: Superheavy Impact(Sparking Force Essence)
Effect: This monster's attacks deal 40% more damage and inflict Burn, Stun or both.

Added Monster: Mist Driver
Trait: Shockwaves(Clouded Force Essence)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, if an enemy gains either Burn or Stun, they'll also gain the other debuff.

Added Monster: Spike Driver
Trait: High Stakes(Piercing Force Essence)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, enemies with Stun take 200% more damage from Burn.

Added Monster: Coal Driver
Trait: Smoke-Belcher(Earthen Magic Essence)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, enemies with Burn and Stun lose 10 Mana per turn.

Added Monster: Tinder Driver
Trait: Landscaping(Natural Magic Essence)
Effect: This monster deals 200% more damage to enemies with Burn or Stun, and 400% more if both conditions are met.

Added Monster: Abyss Driver
Trait: Undersea Tectonics(Wet Force Essence)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, enemies with Stun and Burn below 50% HP have a 10% chance to instantly die instead of taking Poison damage.

Added Monster: Steam Driver
Trait: The Force Of Industry(Artificial Force Essence)
Effect: This monster has 10% more ATK for every enemy with Poison and Snare, and 20% more ATK for every enemy with both.

Itherian Monster: Hell Driver
Trait: Daemonic Mobility(Itherian Force Essence)
Effect: At the start of this monster's turn, it attacks enemies with Burn for 100% normal damage, and inflicts enemies with Stun with Burn. It may then perform an action as normal.

Special Monster: The Black Tower
Trait: On A Moonlit Night(Twisted Force Essence)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, enemies with Burn or Stun spread these debuffs to other enemies adjacent to them.

Disclaimer: Values shown may change at the devs' discretion. Also, I'd love to be involved in the design if this goes through.

(Total Monster Count: 811)
Even in the last moments of the finale, a Monsterologist's inspiration will shine through!

Offline Raikomaru

• View Profile
Reply #102 June 09, 2019, 04:56:14 AM
For those of you who kept track of my works, you may know that the Cerebrants used to be a diffrent kind of monster, the Mysteria. I replaced them with the Cerebrants for variety, and because...well, their traits worked better with cool brain guys. But now, the Mysteria are back, modelled after diffrent kinds of cloaked hats, with new traits that essentially make them the opposite to Priests!

Monster Class: Mysterium
Element: Sorcery
Role: Support(good SPD and DEF, okay HP, decent-ish everything else)

Base Monster: Bowler Mysterium
Trait: Lending Aid(Simple Hat)
Effect: At the start of this creature's turn, it damages all enemy creatures equal to 20% of this creature's Maximum Health, then it loses its turn.

Added Monster: Pith Mysterium
Trait: Exploring The Frontiers(Pith Hat)
Effect: At the start of this creature's turn, it decreases all enemy creatures' SPD by 20% of this creature's SPD, then it loses its turn.

Added Monster: Deerstalker Mysterium
Trait: The Game's Afoot(Hunting Hat)
Effect: At the start of this creature's turn, it decreases all enemy creatures' INT by 20% of this creature's INT, then it loses its turn.

Added Monster: Janissary Mysterium
Trait: Sunshine And Sand(Regal Hat)
Effect: At the start of this creature's turn, it grants enemy creatures 1 random debuff, then it loses its turn.

Added Monster: Shako Mysterium
Trait: Too Refined(Military Hat)
Effect: At the start of this creature's turn, it decreases all enemy creatures' DEF by 20% of this creature's DEF, then it loses its turn.

Added Monster: Ushanka Mysterium
Trait: Winter Bleakest(Fur Hat)
Effect: At the start of this creature's turn, it decreases all enemy creatures' ATK by 20% of this creature's ATK, then it loses its turn.

Added Monster: Hjalmir Mysterium
Trait: Ride Of The...(Metal Hat)
Effect: At the start of this creature's turn, it extends the duration of 2 debuffs on each enemy creature that has debuffs, then it loses its turn.

Added Monster: Kasa Mysterium
Trait: Mysteries Of The Orient(Straw Hat)
Effect: At the start of this creature's turn, it removes Barriers from random enemy creatures that have Barriers, then it loses its turn.

Itherian Monster: Crowned Mysterium
Trait: Of Lords And Kings(Itherian Hat)
Effect: At the start of this creature's turn, all enemy creatures lose Mana equal to 10% of this creature's Mana, then it loses its turn.

(Total Monster Count: 802)

Offline Raikomaru

• View Profile
Reply #101 June 09, 2019, 04:11:51 AM
.,..and that';s enough slacking from me. Back to work...and to whit, I introduce the Fu Dogs, dependable damage-dealers who, like the Thalomin, gain buffs when they do things, this time to their ATK, and share them with other Fu Dogs!

Eastern monsters are always interresting, and the Fu Dogs...as well as their Japanese counterparts, the feline Shisa...are among the neatest. Dragon puppers. Translating trait names to Chinese for these was also cool.

Monster Class: Fu Dog
Role: DPS(Good ATK and HP, okay SPD, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Scholarly Fu Dog
Trait: Daoshi de Zhihui(Ornate Jian)
Effect: When this monster casts a stat-boosting spell, it gets a 10% ATK buff in addition to the spell's normal effect. If there are other Fu Dogs in the party, they get the same INT buff.

Added Monster: Wandering Fu Dog
Trait: Qianfang de Lu(Well-used Jian)
Effect: When this monster attacks an enemy, it gains a 10% ATK boost. If there are other Fu Dogs in the party, they get the same buff.

Added Monster: Ornate Fu Dog
Trait: Huangdi Zhi Dun(Ostentatious Jian)
Effect: When this monster successfully draws damage toward itself by Provoking, it gains a 10% ATK buff. If there are other Fu Dogs in the party, they get the same buff.

Added Monster: Gentle Fu Dog
Trait: Renmin de Shanliang(Blunted Jian)
Effect: When this monster gains a buff, it also gets a 10% ATK buff. If there are other Fu Dogs in the party, they get the same INT buff.

Added Monster: Rugged Fu Dog
Trait: Shibing de Juexin(Sharpened Jian)
Effect: When this monster gains a debuff, it also gets a 10% ATK buff. If there are other Fu Dogs in the party, they get the same INT buff.

Added Monster: Dignified Fu Dog
Trait: Buzhang de Yexin(Hidden Jian)
Effect: When this monster kills an enemy, it gets a 10% ATK buff. If there are other Fu Dogs in the party, they get the same buff.

Itherian Monster: Imperial Fu Dog
Trait: Zhanzheng de Yishu(Itherian Jian)
Effect: At the end of each of this monster's turns, it gets a 10% ATK buff. If there are other Fu Dogs in the party, they get the same buff.

(Total monster count: 793)

Offline Raikomaru

• View Profile
Reply #100 May 31, 2019, 05:52:12 AM
...I just keep going, don't I? :p

Here's another one: Meet the Primordials...they're kind of counterparts to the Colossi and Inexorables thematically, being more traditional elements, but their traits are debuff-themed: they gain one bonus when enemies have their associated debuff, and a diffrent one when ALLIES have said debuff.

Every monsterologist has a THING that defines them, and in my case, that THING is big, beefy, imposing-looking monsters that can reliably function as point-men. Also, I've been contemplating doing something element-based without it being lame, and was inspired to create some of these when I saw THIS vid.

Monster Class: Primordial
Role: Mainline DPS(good ATK and DEF, okay HP and Mana, decent-ish everything else)

Base Monster: Lavaflow Primordial
Trait: Blood Of The World(Flame Magic Essence)
Effect: This monster gains 5% to all of its stats for every enemy with Burn on the field, and 5% defense penetration for every ally with Burn.

Added Monster: Spiralgale Primordial
Trait: Whispering Wind(Wind Magic Essence)
Effect: This monster gains 5% to all of its stats for every enemy with Vulnerable on the field, and 5% defense penetration for every ally with Vulnerable.

Added Monster: Abyssea Primordial
Trait: The Frigid Depths(Water Magic Essence)
Effect: This monster gains 5% to all of its stats for every enemy with Drowned on the field, and 5% defense penetration for every ally with Drowned.

Added Monster: Shuddersoil Primordial
Trait: Sedimentality(Earthen Magic Essence)
Effect: This monster gains 5% to all of its stats for every enemy with Scorn on the field, and 5% defense penetration for every ally with Scorn.

Added Monster: Rumblecloud Primordial
Trait: Roaring Thunder(Lightning Magic Essence)
Effect: This monster gains 5% to all of its stats for every enemy with Shock on the field, and 5% defense penetration for every ally with Shock.

Added Monster: Tanglewood Primordial
Trait: Vast Woodland(Jungle Magic Essence)
Effect: This monster gains 5% to all of its stats for every enemy with Snare on the field, and 5% defense penetration for every ally with Snare.

Added Monster: Diamind Primordial
Trait: Crystalline Resonance(Psychic Magic Essence)
Effect: This monster gains 5% to all of its stats for every enemy with Silence on the field, and 5% defense penetration for every ally with Silence.

Itherian Monster: Billowshine Primordial
Trait: The Light Fantastic(Itherian Bright Essence)
Effect: This monster gains 5% to all of its stats for every enemy with Blind on the field, and 5% defense penetration for every ally with Blind.

Itherian Monster: Pitchvoid Primordial
Trait: Alone In The Darkness(Itherian Dark Essence)
Effect: This monster gains 5% to all of its stats for every enemy with Curse on the field, and 5% defense penetration for every ally with Curse.

(Total Monster Count: 786)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 02:52:59 AM by Raikomaru »

Offline Raikomaru

• View Profile
Reply #99 May 30, 2019, 04:00:09 PM
Man, I just keep figuring out ways to import things from my database...at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if, should Zack find my efforts worthy, Siralim 4 has literally twice the monsters Siralim 3 does! Makes for more content, anyway! So, without further ado, introducing the Materiagars: herbivorous, armored dragons that do the opposite of what Elementals do, in that they take vastly reduced damage from two types.

Basically, the Materiagars are like the Direspiders: I based them, visually, off of White Knight Chronicles' Wyverns...they're these big, reallly low-to-the-ground, almost FLAT dragons...and then adding some material-based mimicry on top of it.

Monster Class: Materiagar
Element: Nature
Role: Tank(good DEF, ATK and HP, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Lavgar
Trait: Boiling Fury(Lava Mimicry)
Effect: This monster takes 80% less damage from Death-element and Chaos-element monsters. This trait does not stack with other Materiagar traits.

Added Monster: Quartgar
Trait: Gleam Armor(Quartz Mimicry)
Effect: This monster takes 80% less damage from Chaos-element and Sorcery-element monsters. This trait does not stack with other Materiagar traits.

Added Monster: Stongar
Trait: I Am A Rock(Stone Mimicry)
Effect: This monster takes 80% less damage from Sorcery-element and Nature-element monsters. This trait does not stack with other Materiagar traits.

Added Monster: Woogar
Trait: Knock On Wood(Wood Mimicry)
Effect: This monster takes 80% less damage from Nature-element and Life-element monsters. This trait does not stack with other Materiagar traits.

Added Monster: Coragar
Trait: Living Sea Bone(Coral Mimicry)
Effect: This monster takes 80% less damage from Life-element and Death-element monsters. This trait does not stack with other Materiagar traits.

Added Monster: Irogar
Trait: Tempered Maille(Iron Mimicry)
Effect: This monster takes 80% less damage from Chaos-element and Nature-element monsters. This trait does not stack with other Materiagar traits.

Added Monster: Sangar
Trait: Flowing Hills(Sand Mimicry)
Effect: This monster takes 80% less damage from Nature-element and Death-element monsters. This trait does not stack with other Materiagar traits.

Added Monster: Bongar
Trait: Bonecarver(Bone Mimicry)
Effect: This monster takes 80% less damage from Death-element and Sorcery-element monsters. This trait does not stack with other Materiagar traits.

Added Monster: Glasgar
Trait: Stained Windows(Glass Mimicry)
Effect: This monster takes 80% less damage from Sorcery-element and Life-element monsters. This trait does not stack with other Materiagar traits.

Added Monster: Flesgar
Trait: Stripped Bare(Flesh Mimicry)
Effect: This monster takes 80% less damage from Life-element and Chaos-element monsters. This trait does not stack with other Materiagar traits.

Itherian Monster: Diamongar
Trait: A Lady's Best Friend(Itherian Mimicry)
Effect: Ally Materiagars gain 100% more ATK, and their attacks deal 50% more damage to the relevant enemy types.

(Total Monster Count: 777)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:56:59 AM by Raikomaru »

Offline Raikomaru

• View Profile
Reply #98 May 25, 2019, 07:35:15 AM
Turns out I jinxed myself when I said the Inexorables were the last one. Well, I somehow figured out a way to make another import from my database work: meet the Wretchblades, whose traits screw with enemy artifacts: five of them turn positive effects into negative ones, five of them steal positive effects for your party's use.

Floating swords with a sentience...they're destructive, but far from malicious. A nice change of pace from the usual lot, I'd say.

Monster Class: Wretchblade
Role: Supporting DPS(good ATK and SPD, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Azhagal
Trait: Terrible Force(Shuddering Sword Scrap)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, all the stat bonuses on enemies' Artifacts become stat reductions.

Added Monster: Mormegil
Trait: Crippling Ailment(Fuming Sword Scrap)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, enemies are afflicted with every debuff their Artifacts can inflict.

Added Monster: Muramasa
Trait: Gushing Red Rivers(Malevolent Sword Scrap)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, any class-based incoming damage reduction on enemies' artifacts becomes a class-based incoming damage increase.

Added Monster: Curtana
Trait: Blades of Mercy(Blunt Sword Scrap)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, any class-based outgoing damage increase on enemies' artifacts becomes a class-based outgoing damage reduction.

Added Monster: Durandal
Trait: Perish Bravely(Gleaming Sword Scrap)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, at the end of each enemy's turn, all their artifact-granted buffs become debuffs.

Added Monster: Mystltain
Trait: Sacred Swordplay(Wooden Sword Scrap)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, all the stat bonuses on enemies' Artifacts apply instead to your party.

Added Monster: Alondite
Trait: Pierce The Heart(Rattling Sword Scrap)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, your monsters gain the ability to inflict every debuff enemies' artifacts can inflict.

Added Monster: Hauteclere
Trait: Beautiful Toughness(Pristine Sword Scrap)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, any class-based incoming damage reduction on enemies' artifacts instead applies to your party.

Added Monster: Claimh Solais
Trait: Shining Turnabout(Radiant Sword Scrap)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, any class-based outgoing damage increase on enemies' artifacts instead applies to your party.

Added Monster: Joyeuse
Trait: Ceremoniously(Gilded Sword Scrap)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, at the end of each enemy's turn, all their artifact-granted buffs instead apply to your party.

Itherian Monster: Bloodbane
Trait: Tyrant Blade(Itherian Sword Scrap)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, enemies' Artifact Traits instead apply to your party.

Itherian Monster: Collbrande
Trait: The Sword of Supremacy(Itherian Sheath)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, all ally Wretchblades take 50% less damage and gain 20% defense penetration.

(Total Monster Count: 766)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:00:21 AM by Raikomaru »

Offline Raikomaru

• View Profile
Reply #97 May 04, 2019, 02:26:57 PM
And the last one. Meet the Inexorables. Big, powerful space monsters based loosely on THIS fine fella, who have powerful traits that weaken when there's other Inexorables in the party.

It's no secret that I like space monsters, and it's no secret that I like strong, dependable monsters that can work as point-men. Thus, the Inexorables spawn from that, designed to satisfy my itch for powerful space monsters...not quite gods, but regal and powerful enough to make people THINK they are...AND to give Life Magi something really nice to fight with.

Monster Class: Inexorable
Element: Life
Role: Mainline DPS(good ATK and DEF, okay HP and SPD, decent-ish everything else)

Base Monster: Meteoric Inexorable
Trait: Nigh Invulnerable(Lifeless Star Essence)
Effect: This monster has a 40% chance to, when defeated, revive itself with full HP and an ATK boost. The amount of HP it revives with is reduced by 15% for very other Inexorable fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Prodigial Inexorable
Trait: Unyielding Flame(Fiery Star Essence)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, all enemies operate as if their stats were reduced by 20%. The weakning is reduced by 3% for every other Inexorable fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Celestial Inexorable
Trait: Blinding Starlight(Radiant Star Essence)
Effect: This monster's attacks inflict Blind and ignore 50% of its targets' DEF. The amount of DEF it ignores is reduced by 8% for every other Inexorable fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Polygonal Inexorable
Trait: 3D Movement(Angular Star Essence)
Effect: This monster has an independant 50% chance to dodge enemy attacks. This dodge-rate weakens by 8% for every other Inexorable fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Auroran Inexorable
Trait: Corona Borealis(Sub-Zero Star Essence)
Effect: This monster takes 50% less damage from enemy attacks, and inflicts Frozen on attackers. The amount of damage reduction is weakened by 8% for every other Inexorable fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Sublime Inexorable
Trait: Purity Of Form(Impeccable Star Essence)
Effect: This monster has a 50% chance to reflect damaging and debuffing spells cast at it back at the caster. This does not affect other monsters on your side. The odds of this monster reflecting said spells are reduced by 8% for every other Inexorable fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Apostatic Inexorable
Trait: Inspiring False Gods(Godly Star Essence)
Effect: This monster's damaging spells do 50% more damage, and cost 50% less Mana. Both of these effects are weakened by 8% for every other Inexorable fighting on your side.

Itherian Monster: Deific Inexorable
Trait: Dark Star of Morning(Itherian Star Essence)
Effect: At the start of battle, this monster's stats are boosted equal to 10% of what the other monsters on your side have. This increase is weakened by 2% for every other Inexorable fighting on your side.

(Total Monster Count: 754)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 07:01:20 AM by Raikomaru »

Offline Raikomaru

• View Profile
Reply #96 May 04, 2019, 01:58:51 PM
Here's a second new monster, but first, a new status effect...a BUFF, this time, and the literal opposite of Grim:

MYSTICAL: Monsters with Mystical take 25% less damage, and heals used on them have 1.5 times the potency.

Then the associated monster: the Satdeer, who are heavily associated with this buff and gain benefits when they have it.

They take a few cues from Satyr, from deer...and from traditional elves, albeit friendlier. But above that, they derive Fae inspiration, as they change from friendly, agreeable forest-folk to vicious fighters when the hunt is called, becoming a danger to all they don't know.

Monster Class: Satdeer
Role: Support DPS(good ATK and SPD, okay DEF, decent-ish everything else)

Base Monster: Satdeer Maiden
Trait: Forest's Welcome(White Dyegrass)
Effect: When this monster gains Mystical, the monsters adjacent to it also gain Mystical.

Added Monster: Satdeer Druid
Trait: Deepwood Rituals(Magenta Dyegrass)
Effect: This monster always has Mystical.

Added Monster: Satdeer Botanist
Trait: Flower Power!(Pink Dyegrass)
Effect: When this monster is healed, it also gains Mystical.

Added Monster: Satdeer Hunter
Trait: The Most Dangerous Game(Red Dyegrass)
Effect: If this monster kills an enemy, it gains Mystical and one of the killed enemy's other buffs.

Added Monster: Satdeer Minstrel
Trait: Panpipes(Lavender Dyegrass)
Effect: When this monster has Mystical, it and the monsters adjacent to it take 25% reduced damage. This stacks with Mystical.

Added Monster: Satdeer Protector
Trait: Grove Guardian(Orange Dyegrass)
Effect: When this monster has Mystical, its attacks also deal 25% more damage.

Itherian Monster: Satdeer Whitehart
Trait: Calling The Hunt(Itherian Dyegrass)
Effect: When this monster defends, every monster with Mystical also gains Berserk. When this monster attacks, every monster with Mystical attacks the same target.

Special Monster: Satdeer Brewster
Trait: Luxurious Brew(Yellow Dyegrass)
Effect: This monster starts with Mystical, and builds up Drunk stacks every turn. As long as this monster has Mystical, instead of the usual effects Drunk stacks confer, each stack raises your monsters' stats by 10%.

(Total Monster Count: 746)

Offline Raikomaru

• View Profile
Reply #95 May 04, 2019, 01:30:46 PM
Right. Got three more things to share...prolly my last gasp to add to the monster-count, basically. The first being this lot here, the Porcs, the name deriving from 'Orc' and 'Pork', who get extra attacks under certain conditions.

You can thank the Trollboar for this, as well as Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow's pigman enemies. Siralim doesn't seem to have either orcs or boar people, so I figured I'd solve those in one fell swoop: Trollboar descendants who ended up more 'boar' and less 'troll'.

Monster Class: Porc
Role: Mainline DPS(good HP and ATK, okay DEF and SPD, decent-ish everything else)

Base Monster: Porcish Thug
Trait: Thuggery(Fresh Bacon)
Effect: When this monster attacks an enemy with lower ATK then it, it attacks again for every other Porc fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Porcish Trapper
Trait: Stake Trap(Fragrant Bacon)
Effect: When this monster attacks an enemy with lower SPD then it, it attacks again for every other Porc fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Porcish Shaman
Trait: Superstition(Aged Bacon)
Effect: When this monster attacks an enemy who has a type disadvantage against it, it attacks again for every other Porc fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Porcish Bandit
Trait: Roadside Scuffle(Dried Bacon)
Effect: When this monster attacks an enemy with lower DEF then it, it attacks again for every Porc fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Porcish Raider
Trait: Loot And Pillage(Looted Bacon)
Effect: When this monster attacks an enemy with more spell gems then it, it attacks again for every Porc fighting on your side. If it KILLS said enemy, it gains a temporary copy of its first spell gem.

Added Monster: Porcish Cannibal
Trait: Devour The Flesh(Spiced Bacon)
Effect: When this monster attacks a monster with more current HP then it, it attacks again for every Porc fighting on your side.

Itherian Monster: Porcish Warchief
Trait: Bigger And Badder(Itherian Bacon)
Effect: Your Porcs' repeated attacks now hit at 150% normal damage. Your Porcs also have Critical.

Special Monster: Porcish Cyboar
Trait: Road Hogs(Fried Bacon)
Effect: When this monster attacks an enemy with higher SPD then it, it attacks again for every other Porc fighting on your side.

(Total Monster Count: 738)

Offline Raikomaru

• View Profile
Reply #94 April 28, 2019, 07:49:42 PM
And here it is. The last monster concept from the old thread. Introducing a...bit of vanity: the Dreadknights, deriving from a few of Castlevania's big armored soldiers(the Great Armor line and the 'Brothers of Knighthood', but there's cues from others). Despite their size, these are pack monsters, Diabolic Horde-style, which boost their effectiveness when there's a bunch of 'em together.

Monster Class: Dreadknight
Element: Chaos
Role: Durable DPS(good DEF and ATK, okay HP, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Dreadknight Soldier
Trait: Strength In Numbers(Black Cuirass)
Effect: Your creatures' Dreadknight traits act as if the party contains three more Dreadknights.

Added Monster: Dreadknight Bladesman
Trait: Dance Of Steel(Red Cuirass)
Effect: Your Dreadknights have 10% more SPD for each Dreadknight fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Dreadknight Slayer
Trait: Gurkha's Caress(Green Cuirass)
Effect: Your Dreadknights have 10% more ATK for each Dreadknight fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Dreadknight Arbiter
Trait: Law And Order(Blue Cuirass)
Effect: Enemies deal 5% less damage for each Dreadknight fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Dreadknight Pikeman
Trait: Shield And Spear(Purple Cuirass)
Effect: Your Dreadknights have 10% more DEF for each Dreadknight fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Dreadknight Surveyor
Trait: Prime Ambush(Brown Cuirass)
Effect: Enemies have 5% less ATK, DEF, SPD and INT for each Dreadknight fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Dreadknight Ripper
Trait: Trajectories(Silver Cuirass)
Effect: Your Dreadknights have 10% more INT for each Dreadknight fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Dreadknight Breacher
Trait: Gunpowder Surprise(Orange Cuirass)
Effect: Your Dreadknights deal 10% more damage for each Dreadknight fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Dreadknight Guardian
Trait: Great Bulwark(Steel Cuirass)
Effect: After your Dreadknights die,  they have a 5% chance to be resurrected with 50% HP for each Dreadknight fighting on your side.

Itherian Monster: Dreadknight Marshall
Trait: Lord Custodian(Itherian Cuirass)
Effect: Your Dreadknights no longer have a class weakness, and always deal increased damage as if the enemy's class is weak to theirs.

Special Monster: Dreadknight Forgemaster
Trait: Field Repairs(White Cuirass)
Effect: Atr the start of your Dreadknights' turns, they recover 10% HP for each Dreadknight fighting on your side.

(Total Monster Count: 730)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 02:27:10 PM by Raikomaru »

Offline Raikomaru

• View Profile
Reply #93 April 28, 2019, 07:48:46 PM
Second-to-last, and another recycled thing I thought unusable at first: meet the Skelliquids, who do things that INFLICT Grim, but mainly capitalize on it.

Skelliquids are just a passing idea: what if one were to combine the gruesomeness of skeletons with the gruesomeness of semi-liquid monsters?

Monster Class: Skelliquid
Role: Durable DPS(great HP, okay ATK and DEF, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Watery Skelliquid
Trait: A Raging Sea(Wet Jewel)
Effect: This monster's attacks do 75% more damage and inflict Grim.

Added Monster: Gelatin Skelliquid
Trait: A Bad Thing Gone Worse(Lubricated Jewel)
Effect: When this monster inflicts a debuff that isn't Grim, it also inflicts Grim.

Added Monster: Inky Skelliquid
Trait: A Grimm Bloody Fable(Deep, Dark Jewel)
Effect: When this monster attacks an enemy with Grim, they also gain another debuff.

Added Monster: Blood Skelliquid
Trait: A Hell Of A Mess(Sticky Jewel)
Effect: When this monster kills an enemy with Grim for more damage then it had HP to cover, excess damage is transferred onto adjacent enemies.

Added Monster: Concrete Skelliquid
Trait: A Pair Of Cement Shoes(Stone-colored Jewel)
Effect: When this monster attacks an enemy that has either Grim or Snare, it also gains the other debuff.

Added Monster: Reviver Skelliquid
Trait: A Crazy Diamond(Regenerating Jewel)
Effect: When this monster attacks an enemy that has Grim, it heals itself for the amount of damage it did to the enemy.

Itherian Monster: Skulliquid
Trait: A Frightening Visage(Itherian Jewel)
Effect: When this monster attacks an enemy with Grim, the enemy has a 10% chance to immediately die.

Special Monster: Moonshine Skelliquid
Trait: A Toast To One's Health(Beer-colored Jewel)
Effect: When this monster deals damage to an enemy that has Drunk stacks, they also gain Grim. When this monster attacks an enemy that has Grim, they gain a Drunk stack.

(Total Monster Count: 719)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 01:07:14 AM by Raikomaru »

Offline Raikomaru

• View Profile
Reply #92 April 28, 2019, 07:47:16 PM
Almost there. First, a debuff:

GRIM: Creatures with Grim take 25% more damage, and any heals used on them have their potency halved.

And then the accompanying monster-type: the Trenchers, based on the soldiers who fought in IRL wars past, who best emphasize this effect, having it themselves, but gaining benefits from it.

Monster Class: Trencher
Role: DPS(good ATK and SPD, okay DEF, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Trencher Private
Trait: We Have Reserves(Bloody Picture)
Effect: This monster always has Grim, but will, once per battle, revive itself at 50% HP.

Added Monster: Trencher Heavy
Trait: A Song Of Lead(Crumpled Picture)
Effect: This monster always has Grim, but deals 100% more damage.

Added Monster: Trencher Sniper
Trait: Hold Onto Your Head(Marked Picture)
Effect: This monster always has Grim, but its attacks ignore barriers, and can freely target Invisible enemies.

Added Monster: Trencher Pyro
Trait: The Smell of Napalm(Singed Picture)
Effect: This monster always has Grim, but its attacks are 25% more powerful and inflict Burn. In addition, as long as this monster is alive, all Burn effects applied to the enemy team do twice as much damage.

Added Monster: Trencher Engineer
Trait: Movin' That Gear Up(Stained Picture)
Effect: This monster always has Grim, but at the end of its turns, it gives itself a random buff. If the buff it would've given itself is a buff it already has, it gives that buff to the party instead.

Added Monster: Trencher Commsman
Trait: Ground Control To...(Pristine Picture)
Effect: This monster always has Grim, but so long as this monster is alive, your entire team has Grace and Critical.

Added Monster: Trencher Medic
Trait: Doctor-assisted Homicide(Faded Picture)
Effect: This monster always has Grim, but any heals dished out by this monster heal for 50% more then they normally would.

Itherian Monster: Trencher Sergeant
Trait: First Rank, Fire!(Itherian Picture)
Effect: This monster always has Grim, but so long as it lives, your party deals 35% more damage.

Special Monster: The Unknown Hero
Trait: Fight Another Day(Sepia-toned Picture)
Effect: This monster always has Grim, but so long as this monster is alive, your party takes 25% less damage.

(Total Monster Count: 711)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 04:01:49 PM by Raikomaru »

Offline Raikomaru

• View Profile
Reply #91 April 28, 2019, 07:45:37 PM
Nearing the end of all the copy-pasta. Meet the Olympians, super-buff, quadrupedal offensive tanks whose attacks have beneficial effects for your party.

Kind of a variant on adonic, hulkingly-buff statues and such: Olympians are so buff and hulking, they support themselves with FOUR legs.

Monster Class: Olympian
Element: Life
Role: Durable DPS(DEF and HP, okay ATK, decent-ish everything else)

Base Monster: Beefy Olympian
Trait: Bulging Muscle(Ripped Muscle)
Effect: This monster deals 40% more damage with its attacks, and when it does, it takes one of the target's buffs at random and gives it to the party.

Added Monster: Adonic Olympian
Trait: Power And Agility(Glorious Muscle)
Effect: This monster deals 40% more damage with its attacks, and when it does, it takes 10% of the target's SPD and gives it to the party.

Added Monster: Radiant Olympian
Trait: Legendary Physique(Resplendant Muscle)
Effect: This monster deals 40% more damage with its attacks, and when it does, it takes 10% of the target's ATK and gives it to the party.

Added Monster: Sculpted Olympian
Trait: Classical Artistry(Rock-hard Muscle)
Effect: This monster deals 40% more damage with its attacks, and when it does, it takes 10% of the target's DEF and gives it to the party.

Added Monster: Polished Olympian
Trait: A Study Of Power(Waxed Muscle)
Effect: This monster deals 40% more damage with its attacks, and when it does, it takes 10% of the target's INT and gives it to the party.

Added Monster: Gentle Olympian
Trait: Tender-Hearted(Refined Muscle)
Effect: This monster deals 40% more damage with its attacks, and when it does, it takes 10% of the target's mana, calculated by their maximum mana, and gives it to the party.

Itherian Monster: Monumental Olympian
Trait: A World Of Buffness(Itherian Muscle)
Effect: This monster deals 40% more damage with its attacks, and when it does, it takes one of its own debuffs at random and gives it to the enemy party.

(Total Monster Count: 702)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:00:53 PM by Raikomaru »

Offline Raikomaru

• View Profile
Reply #90 April 28, 2019, 07:43:33 PM
It's time for another import, though I'm also borrowing cues from another game. First, an accompanying status effect:

DROWNED: Creatures with Drowned dodge and get turns as if they have halved SPD, and pay 1.75 times the Mana cost for their spells.

Then, the monster. Introducing the Oannii, creepy-yet-pretty mermaids, akin to Ragnarok Online's Obeaunes, and deriving a bit from the Clione(those sea-angel things the Japanese just can't get enough of), who are themed around this effect!

Monster Class: Oannes
Role: Balanced DPS(Okay ATK, DEF, SPD and INT, decent HP and Mana)

Base Monster: Oannes Wench
Trait: Seaside Daze(Pink Tentacle Hair)
Effect: This monster's attacks deal 75% more damage and inflict Drowned.

Added Monster: Oannes Scavenger
Trait: Making The Most(Brown Tentacle Hair)
Effect: When this monster damages an enemy that has Drowned, it also steals one of their buffs at random.

Added Monster: Oannes Lyrist
Trait: Strings of the Heart(Blue Tentacle Hair)
Effect: When this monster gains or has a buff, all enemies with the same buff gain Drowned.

Added Monster: Oannes Illuminator
Trait: Baleful Beacon(Clear Tentacle Hair)
Effect: So long as this monster lives, enemies with Drowned must target it above everything else, and deal 50% reduced damage to it.

Added Monster: Oannes Shelterer
Trait: Slapshell(Red Tentacle Hair)
Effect: Enemies afflicted with Drowned also do 50% less damage.

Added Monster: Oannes Operetta
Trait: Elegy of the Waves(Blonde Tentacle Hair)
Effect: Your monsters do 10% more damage for every monster with Drowned on the enemy team.

Added Monster: Oannes Mystic
Trait: Turbid Currents(Black Tentacle Hair)
Effect: Enemies afflicted with Drowned also take 50% more damage.

Itherian Monster: Oannes Silencer
Trait: Pulled Under(Itherian Tentacle Hair)
Effect: So long as this monster is alive, if an enemy at 60% HP or below with Drowned tries to cast a spell, it has a 15% chance to immediately die.

Special Monster: Oannes Seafairy
Trait: Absinthe-minded(Green Tentacle Hair)
Effect: Enemies with Drunk stacks gain Drowned, and enemies with Drowned slowly build up Drunk stacks so long as Drowned persists.

(Total Monster Count: 695)