Thylacine Studios - Forum

Post about the spells you think should be changed here.  (Read 2104 times)

Offline robertleva

• View Profile
Re: Post about the spells you think should be changed here.
Reply #25 January 26, 2018, 12:25:34 PM
I get that but we have tons of ways to limit cast on start without just trashing it completely.

Limit it to mage class perks like I said. You can further limit it to certain creature classes, or limit the kind spell gems that can be cast at the start.

Ideally I would like to see the auto cast remain, but be more difficult to break.

Offline Umaro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reply #24 January 26, 2018, 12:04:38 PM
Am I the only one that thought the auto cast was in line with the other systems of S2 in terms of power vs. how much effort it takes to assemble a broken team abusing autocast?

It takes a similar amount of effort to "go infinite" by abusing other systems, why are we singling this out again?

How about a compromise with a new class with the following perks:

Your spell gems that apply debuffs have a 0/25 % chance to proc on hit
Your spell gems that apply buffs have a 0/25 % chance to proc when hit

etc etc. make it so all the "Automage"'s class perks are used up unlocking the auto cast mechanics of S2, that seems a fair trade.

The main problem was with the "cast at the start of battle" spells, to be honest.

Offline robertleva

• View Profile
Reply #23 January 26, 2018, 12:00:44 PM
Am I the only one that thought the auto cast was in line with the other systems of S2 in terms of power vs. how much effort it takes to assemble a broken team abusing autocast?

It takes a similar amount of effort to "go infinite" by abusing other systems, why are we singling this out again?

How about a compromise with a new class with the following perks:

Your spell gems that apply debuffs have a 0/25 % chance to proc on hit
Your spell gems that apply buffs have a 0/25 % chance to proc when hit

etc etc. make it so all the "Automage"'s class perks are used up unlocking the auto cast mechanics of S2, that seems a fair trade.

Offline Chumsie

• I cast Magic Missile!
    • View Profile
Reply #22 January 26, 2018, 09:20:00 AM
So... maybe old-timey Haste could make a return, what with the revamped mana-system and whatnot? Maybe make it so that it can't be cast right after another Haste, to avoid abuse?

Reply #21 January 26, 2018, 04:01:53 AM
Or both. More options == better.

Offline Athetos421

• View Profile
Reply #20 January 25, 2018, 04:50:36 PM
Or have a special Masochist/Pain mage class. He gets traits that give big boosts to your creatures, but restrict you in some way, for example:
Painful rage
After your creatures are damaged, they gain an amount of Attack = 1/2 Damage dealt. Your creatures cannot gain shield and heal only 5% health with mend.
Etc.

A special unlockable class, something to work for for those hardcore optimizers.

Reply #19 January 25, 2018, 03:53:57 PM
If auto cast is going away in S3, I think spells in general will end up falling way behind the other ways to break the system.
Well, let's just assume some things and move forward already: S2 was always a game about breaking the system.
Kind of like Disgaea series with MtG flavour. And it's wonderful. Zack's mutiny against modern trend of "balancing over fun" convinced me twice to buy his games at beta stages.

That being said, I'm also a big fan of choose your punishment mechanics back in S2.
ALSO I like a lot ban system in major TCGs, which forbids certain cards in certain formats.

So why not simply combine both ? Leave it up to player to decide if (s)he want to ban some overpowered combos and spells or not, range by severity. Maybe in exchange for additional resources/exp/unlockables (how about carddrops being possible  only with strict ban mode enabled ?).

Offline robertleva

• View Profile
Reply #18 January 20, 2018, 12:37:42 PM
The auto casting system in S2 is busted and abusable, BUT it becomes broken around the same time in the game that you can start breaking all the other systems in the game as well. So in a way I though it was somewhat balanced, or at least in line with the other broken / exploitable systems.

Glory is a particularly obnoxious offender. You can cause near infinite loops with this and multicast. After breaking the game apart, I opted to stop using Glory. Sure you can kill anything, but the fights start taking forever when you are fighting monsters that are lvls 2000 - 10,000+.

If auto cast is going away in S3, I think spells in general will end up falling way behind the other ways to break the system.

Reply #17 January 05, 2018, 06:05:10 AM
i agree complete immunity should be harder or impossible to achieve

Sure, but... It's not really flawed spell, trait, their combination or anything.
It's Siralim's disgn fundametal flaw: PvE asymmetry.

Now imagine some mid-boss use such a combo. Defeated player will just be a fool who never predicted neither prepared for immunity strategy. Enemies, on other hand, never learn/adapt/predicts.

They will never guess how to change classes (hint: Morph) or disarm artifacts (hint:Decay) or something.
AI will simply die no matter how obvious counter-tactics is.

Offline virtua

• View Profile
Reply #16 January 03, 2018, 11:35:37 AM
i agree complete immunity should be harder or impossible to achieve

Offline Umaro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reply #15 January 02, 2018, 06:54:36 PM
Defy Light is probably the most overpowered spell in the game. Death Shield + Unbreakable trait, you only need to cast that spell and you've won.

Reply #14 December 11, 2017, 03:25:24 PM
Exactly what makes this game nice: 1HKO availability is a sign of good RPG system.
Autocast properties gonna be removed in S3, though.

Offline virtua

• View Profile
Reply #13 December 11, 2017, 10:46:27 AM
Well.. gotta admit this has been the most OP spell I ever found lol. The issue is I can exploit this during any boss fight making it super easy to win. Doing massive damage to boss type and keep same ability on normal enemies would have been fine.

yea getting a whole team of defend/provoke multicast mutilates is pretty insane

Offline Enzo Matrix

• View Profile
Reply #12 December 11, 2017, 08:23:16 AM
Well.. gotta admit this has been the most OP spell I ever found lol. The issue is I can exploit this during any boss fight making it super easy to win. Doing massive damage to boss type and keep same ability on normal enemies would have been fine.

Offline virtua

• View Profile
Reply #11 December 07, 2017, 05:39:09 PM
yea kinda interesting, like weak spells combo up to 'ultimate' or stronger spells. i kinda like this but would be hard to balance and would need to revamp lots of stuff.