Author Topic: What should the death penalty be?  (Read 148 times)

Offline Zack

• Administrator
  • Lich
  • [applaud]
    • View Profile
What should the death penalty be?
« on: November 17, 2017, 10:58:31 AM »
Since Power Balance is being removed in Siralim 3, we'll need a new penalty for when your party is wiped out. I'm considering a 20% loss of all resources, but if you can think of anything else, I'd love to hear about it.
Siralim developer and programmer. Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube

If you like Siralim 2, please consider purchasing some merchandise, the game's soundtrack, or one of our cosmetic DLCs!

Offline Umaro

Re: What should the death penalty be?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
A loss of 20% resources AND an autosave, you mean?  ;) Please don't make us lose resources for running away from a battle, though :P

I have an idea, though it may be too much of a hassle to program:

Have a bag with limited space (with maybe a perk to increase it) that we take to realms, where we put everything we find, and everything in it is lost when we die or Save & Exit.

Offline Zack

• Administrator
  • Lich
  • [applaud]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 12:15:10 PM »
That is a really good idea! I like that a lot.
Siralim developer and programmer. Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube

If you like Siralim 2, please consider purchasing some merchandise, the game's soundtrack, or one of our cosmetic DLCs!

Offline Umaro

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 06:46:00 AM »
The problem with this is that it wouldn't make sense to be able to use consumables that are in the "castle's" inventory while in realms. But... maybe we can put items in the bag while in the castle to take them to realms (and risk losing them)?

Offline Aiesha Nazarothi

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 04:50:52 AM »
Have a bag with limited space (with maybe a perk to increase it) that we take to realms, where we put everything we find, and everything in it is lost when we die or Save & Exit.

Hm, technically, it could be elaborated a little better: critical time loop. So, in fact, you die (what a surprise), yet there are our old friend Vertraag with his ability to revert timelines back.
Back to point where you stepped into Teleportation Shrine - jf course all progress are lost, yet nothing else changes.

Sounds rather fair, if you ask me.

Offline Umaro

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 05:04:45 AM »
It's not the same. With your method the game would have to create a separate save file or it would require getting rid of all the autosaves in realms (like using a Sigil in S2). With the bag method, the autosaves would just save the game as if the bag was empty. Also your method would affect levels as well as items.

That said, yours could work too. I'm just saying it's different, not trying to say mine is better.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:30:32 AM by Umaro »

Offline Zack

• Administrator
  • Lich
  • [applaud]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. It would change the way the game feels quite a lot. Imagine the tension you'd feel if you found a super rare item in a realm and knew you had to make your way to the teleportation shrine before you died. That's an emotion that you definitely don't ever feel with Siralim and Siralim 2.

The only drawback is that people might get really, really upset if they come across an ultra-difficult pack of enemies, like 6 Hunters or something like that. But maybe that's part of the fun.

I'll also probably add an option to disable this in New Game+ in case some people really hate it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:29:30 AM by Zack »

Offline Umaro

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 09:06:28 AM »
They could always flee the battle (what's the new penalty for that, anyway?) or use a new item to escape/get rid of overworld enemies/etc that they might have found. Also, items in this game (well, in S2) aren't important enough to general progression (imagine if the only way to get a new creature was to find its egg on the floor, for example) to really make someone upset enough to ragequit the game.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:15:45 AM by Umaro »

Offline Zack

• Administrator
  • Lich
  • [applaud]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 09:17:39 AM »
Good point, the escape item would be a lot more useful and coveted that way.

Fleeing has been removed (at least for now) - you can only forfeit. I think it was too easy to build a team that only has a few weaknesses, and simply run away from those few weaknesses. Fleeing was basically just in there because other RPGs have it, but looking back on it, I don't think it's good for the game to have that option. What do you think?

Offline Umaro

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 09:23:38 AM »
I like it. I will make the game feel more dangerous, kind of like a roguelike without the permadeath.

Offline Zack

• Administrator
  • Lich
  • [applaud]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 10:14:42 AM »
Another consideration: maybe resources shouldn't be forfeited even if your party is wiped out. That way, players who are struggling can at least gain a bit of headway by accumulating resources and experience points. Thoughts?

Offline Umaro

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 10:23:35 AM »
I don't really mind either way. Though at least that way the "handfuls" won't take up bag space.

Offline virtua

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »
this survive to 'perm' your items/xp/resources has been a feature recently in a lot of games I have been playing. i have mixed thoughts on it, but I think losing a % or a fixed amount per death is way worse late game... so I do like this better.  it does add tension. but stuff in the realm its self has to be worth 'it' (the 'equivalent' of 20% resources or other death penalty)