Thylacine Studios - Forum

Early Game Life Mage Testing  (Read 529 times)

Offline Noetherian

• View Profile
Re: Early Game Life Mage Testing
Reply #4 June 29, 2018, 09:48:44 AM
@Psylisa: I agree with you that Valkyrie Scout damage is quite low overall.

However -- completely off topic -- I have found that Valkyrie Scout can be a fun way to generate enemy dodges. Give Valkyrie Multi-strike (and/or a trait that enables multiple attacks) and make sure that the Valkyrie's artifact has no speed bonuses. (Actually, this will work even better with the new Heredity system). Then load up your team with effects that trigger when the enemy dodges ... profit :-)

Note: Certainly, not the most effective strategy out there, but it is a lot of fun. I used it the first time I defeated the Queen of Siralim!

Offline Psylisa

• View Profile
Reply #3 June 29, 2018, 09:41:25 AM
I wanted to test out the new Life Mage early-game duo: Emlai++ and Valkyrie Scout

Last night, I started five games as a life mage and played through the first five Realms in each of the five games.

Conclusion: Realm 2 was Tough! and Valkyrie Scout isn't particularly useful early game

-------------------------------------------------

Typically, I entered Realm 2 with Emlai, Valkyrie Scout and a newly summoned Level 1 creature. (E.g., Unicorn Vivifier)

In two of the five games, I died before I could get the newly summoned creature up to level 2. Fights such as the following were really hard for Life Mage and seemed to require getting lucky with Emlai buffs:
-- Bard, Bard, Aspect
-- Bard, Aspect, Unicorn
-- Bard, Aspect, Aspect

In general, I have found Bards to be the most dangerous creatures in the early game (they themselves hit hard and they make other creatures like Aspects hit harder than they otherwise would). However, most of the other starting pairs have the damage output to kill a Bard quickly.

Additionally, the Aspects are particularly problematic for Valkyrie Scout. Aspects are Nature and therefore deal extra damage against Life. Both of my early Realm 2 Deaths involved an Aspect (with the Bard damage bonus from speed) hitting my level 1 creature -- the Valkyrie then counter-attacks the Aspect, the Aspect dodges and proceeds to kill the Valkyrie. (This doesn't guarantee a loss in the fight, but unless the Emlai gets lucky with buffs things go badly)

I also lost one fight in Zonte's Realm because my Emlai went Berserk at an unfortunate time and died quickly. (Early game Berserk is a double-edged sword)

Overall, I felt the Valkyrie Scout didn't add much to the team. The Scout attacks a lot, but it doesn't deal any damage early game because its attack stat isn't particularly high. (By way of comparison, the Death Shadow Carnage has an Attack of 22, and Valkyrie Scout has an attack of 16 ... this makes a big different early in the game.) Additionally, early game you don't have access to strong attack artifacts (no Enchanter) or traits that reward you for attacking frequently.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Bottom Line: I think that I am a reasonably skilled player, and in only 2 of my five attempts was I able to reach Realm 5 without dying. This is a small sample size, but it indicates there might be a problem with the early-game life duo.

I really like the changes to the Life Perks, but they don't play a role in the very early game! ... Indeed, many of the best ones require access to healing and Life mages don't have access to healing early on.

Final Suggestion: Can you give Lister a gem that provides some sort of healing as his Rank 2 (Honored) Favor Reward? This doesn't help with the very early game, but it does guarantee Life Mages access to a healing effect without having to go too far into the game.
I agree. I never liked Valkyrie Scout as a creature in any of the Siralim games. It just never had the power behind it, and the extra attack never did much damage. I also highly suspect that the 40% damage isn't 40% damage - it's 40% Attack Stat. And there's a difference. For example, when Scout swings, it'll hit for 200. When the extra attacks happen, it hits for 20. There's just a disconnect between the numbers and I've seen it across multiple creatures that use a % attack.

The only way to really capitalize on the Scout's extra attack is to have an artifact or another trait that procs status effects.

I'm still in favor of Narklin Ophan as the 2nd creature, but I think it's a higher tier. Even Firewound Angel is better than Valkyrie Scout.

Offline Zack

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #2 June 29, 2018, 09:25:38 AM
Thanks a lot! That's really good feedback, especially considering you ran it 5 times.

I probably won't make too many more balance changes for now (the only reason I did so much with the Life class recently is because it was so far behind all the others) as I want to add some new content, but when I do a balance pass I will definitely make note of this.
Designer and Programmer of Siralim and The Negative. Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Offline Noetherian

• View Profile
Early Game Life Mage Testing
Reply #1 June 29, 2018, 09:01:59 AM
I wanted to test out the new Life Mage early-game duo: Emlai++ and Valkyrie Scout

Last night, I started five games as a life mage and played through the first five Realms in each of the five games.

Conclusion: Realm 2 was Tough! and Valkyrie Scout isn't particularly useful early game

-------------------------------------------------

Typically, I entered Realm 2 with Emlai, Valkyrie Scout and a newly summoned Level 1 creature. (E.g., Unicorn Vivifier)

In two of the five games, I died before I could get the newly summoned creature up to level 2. Fights such as the following were really hard for Life Mage and seemed to require getting lucky with Emlai buffs:
-- Bard, Bard, Aspect
-- Bard, Aspect, Unicorn
-- Bard, Aspect, Aspect

In general, I have found Bards to be the most dangerous creatures in the early game (they themselves hit hard and they make other creatures like Aspects hit harder than they otherwise would). However, most of the other starting pairs have the damage output to kill a Bard quickly.

Additionally, the Aspects are particularly problematic for Valkyrie Scout. Aspects are Nature and therefore deal extra damage against Life. Both of my early Realm 2 Deaths involved an Aspect (with the Bard damage bonus from speed) hitting my level 1 creature -- the Valkyrie then counter-attacks the Aspect, the Aspect dodges and proceeds to kill the Valkyrie. (This doesn't guarantee a loss in the fight, but unless the Emlai gets lucky with buffs things go badly)

I also lost one fight in Zonte's Realm because my Emlai went Berserk at an unfortunate time and died quickly. (Early game Berserk is a double-edged sword)

Overall, I felt the Valkyrie Scout didn't add much to the team. The Scout attacks a lot, but it doesn't deal any damage early game because its attack stat isn't particularly high. (By way of comparison, the Death Shadow Carnage has an Attack of 22, and Valkyrie Scout has an attack of 16 ... this makes a big different early in the game.) Additionally, early game you don't have access to strong attack artifacts (no Enchanter) or traits that reward you for attacking frequently.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Bottom Line: I think that I am a reasonably skilled player, and in only 2 of my five attempts was I able to reach Realm 5 without dying. This is a small sample size, but it indicates there might be a problem with the early-game life duo.

I really like the changes to the Life Perks, but they don't play a role in the very early game! ... Indeed, many of the best ones require access to healing and Life mages don't have access to healing early on.

Final Suggestion: Can you give Lister a gem that provides some sort of healing as his Rank 2 (Honored) Favor Reward? This doesn't help with the very early game, but it does guarantee Life Mages access to a healing effect without having to go too far into the game.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:08:05 AM by Noetherian »