Thylacine Studios - Forum

Scaling and the only real problem with Siralim  (Read 5296 times)

Offline osedax

• View Profile
Re: Scaling and the only real problem with Siralim
Reply #6 January 29, 2016, 08:42:47 AM
I suggest royalty points to be spent on Artifact Maximum, and let that be unlimited or high ranked. I suggest pill monsters. Pills grant +1 to a single stat. Maybe a monster that allows a low percent chance for pills to drop after battle.

Offline Bloodist

• View Profile
Reply #5 September 07, 2015, 08:18:41 AM
I managed with a team of brim smith.I feel the learning curve is where I had the most enjoyment. Having to figure out enemy abilities
and stat curves.Realy stats aren't a big issue to beat.A nether demon with some pills from arena will amaze you.my lvl 3-4k characters were getting 1k+ stat boosts per pill.It adds up as if you were level 1 when u took the pill.I will admit its easy to cheese the game difficulty with abilities. cloak and dagger,doomsayer,doppelganger,calamity, eternal rest,topaz attunement  and many more!I even
know a way that most folks don't care to try.Don't increase monster tiers and the game is realy lmao killfest you win all the time!
Tier 1 monster are a real joke:D but not as nearly as fun as going without a condom and going in deep with all monster tiers and
 mouth of hell.GOODTIMES are to be had if you like the style of rougelike Siralim action.I personaly am trying to see if my infinite
squad can reach realm level 1 million and searech out a mythical boss fight with the ZACKIN CRAKIN(doesn't exist as far as I know
and don't believe Zack it does exist!)I heard this interesting tidbit of info from the voices in my head that started to talk to me after 50 energy drinks and 40hrs of Siralim the other day......Thats realm level 1 million and I consider this information to be divine in origin it can't be wrong!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:22:10 AM by Bloodist »
I die a lot let me share 101 with you.

Offline robertleva

• View Profile
Reply #4 September 05, 2015, 04:08:14 PM
For the most part, there are only a handful of abilities that jeopardize the balance of the game (Topaz Paragon and Paranormal Slime come to mind). Otherwise, the game is still very stats-driven. Some players enjoy being overpowered using these abilities, so I don't want to take them away from the game because it would upset a lot of people. On the other hand, I think if someone dislikes these abilities because they're overpowered, it's pretty easy to just exclude them from your team.

Your response worries me. The game is very stats driven...until its not. At that point you realize that 95% of the content is obsolete. When you start to grind into deeper levels all stats become completely meaningless. Nether creatures are similarly pointless. I do not believe that the scaling abilities are overpowered, at least not in general. In fact plenty of scaling abilities are nearly useless while you are still in the "stats have meaning" portion of the game. Scaling abilities never lose their effectiveness though.

Zack I want you to understand this: you CAN have the best of both worlds (scaling and non scaling content). It IS possible to do, you are choosing not to though and I think that is a big mistake that I really hope you correct in  Siralim 2 or in a future patch.

Your game is amazing, its just suffocated by non scaling content. Now if your goal is to simply provide ~100 hours of meaningful non scaling content then you have more than succeeded. And honestly for $5 I really dont have anything to complain about. I just see a potential here that isnt quite being realized and I want the best game possible.

Offline Zack

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #3 September 05, 2015, 10:11:17 AM
For the most part, there are only a handful of abilities that jeopardize the balance of the game (Topaz Paragon and Paranormal Slime come to mind). Otherwise, the game is still very stats-driven. Some players enjoy being overpowered using these abilities, so I don't want to take them away from the game because it would upset a lot of people. On the other hand, I think if someone dislikes these abilities because they're overpowered, it's pretty easy to just exclude them from your team.
Designer and Programmer of Siralim and The Negative. Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

lioness

Reply #2 September 05, 2015, 09:12:01 AM
While that's well known, at this point I'd prefer Zack to focus on Siralim 2 rather than trying to fix this one, since its not only scaling but a bunch of overpowered abilities troubling the game.

Offline robertleva

• View Profile
Scaling and the only real problem with Siralim
Reply #1 September 05, 2015, 08:07:23 AM
Ok let me first start of by saying that SIralim is one of the most interesting and compelling RPGs I have played in a long time. I love how much there is to discover, and I love how I kept getting the feeling I was just barely starting to master the game even after many (hundreds now) hours of play.

Eventually though everyone will reach the same conclusion: 95% of the game content becomes obsolete in the "endgame". The only lasting content has to scale independently.

Attack, Speed, Damage, Defense, Luck and even maximum health to a degree are completely useless after a certain level. Thus, artifact stats that boost these abilities are also useless. Eventually artifacts turn into legendary ability holders and the rest of the stats are meaningless. The exact level at which all of your hard earned gear and creatures become useless varies, but rest assured they will eventually be useless unless they are based on scaling mechanics.

Nether creatures and Nether Demons are similarly useless because the only advantages they give are in non scaling abilities! I figured this out before I really started investing any time into creating a nether team thankfully, but many people will waste dozens or even hundreds of hours on such a team only to realize that regular creatures are just as good as nether creatures in the endgame because of scaling.

We need to add an avenue that allows teams that are based on non-scaling stats to function in the end game. Here would be one example:

Ability:
Infinite Hands - This creature can hold unlimited artifacts, but it only gets the legendary effects from the first.

With that ability in the game you now have a reason to collect and level up artifacts. All of those obsolete crafting materials become useful too. It doesnt seem too powerful to me at all when compared to scaling abilities like Paranormal Slime.

The main point is that the 95% of the content that becomes obsolete is amazingly fun, and its a huge waste  if we cant find a way for some of these early strategies to find ground in the "endgame".
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:05:45 AM by robertleva »