Thylacine Studios - Forum

what mage class did you pick and what do you think of it?  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Michael

• View Profile
Life becomes more interesting in End-Game. Caritas Sanctus and Ebony Ent can make an unbreakable defense in combination with Frozen Spirit and the Spirit with Agneration or how the name was. But its still no match for the heavily overpowered Chaos & Sorcery Mages.

Offline Geokinesis

• View Profile
First started a game as Sorcery and after getting Wild Magic and a few choice creatures I honestly just became bored with each battle being so easy. The fact random spells gems from Wild Magic can come with modifiers like "% to cast twice" & "Casts on an extra target" makes it so powerful.

Started another game as a Life Mage and the contrast could not be sharper. The perks for getting barriers and increased healing could be useful if there was any guaranteed source of healing available, instead you have to hope to get some healing spell gems. I'd been hoping for a perk that was something like "Everytime your creatures attack they have an x% chance to heal for 25% of their Defense" so you could get inherent healing.

Again in contrast, Sorcery mage 50 points = Every Creature has 3 free spells (with modifiers) every battle. Life Mage 50 points = You need some form of healing ability to either slightly damage your enemies/you can trigger overheal but still need points in barrier skills to have it AND still need healing abilities.

Offline Psylisa

• View Profile
Life becomes interesting into late game. Theres one Ophan that doubles intelligence when using life spell gems and the trait of Caritas Sanctus gives insane Barriers and healing.
The problem is - every other class has access to those same creatures. It's not like it's a unique feature to being a Life Mage like having 12x Waspids for a Nature Mage or gaining Saia as a Death Mage. So what, in your opinion makes Life Mage so special?

Barriers that cap out at 50% of your creatures' HP isn't very good when spells like Holy Bulwark can do the exact same thing and moreso - you'll easily reach the standard 200% Barrier cap by casting that, and it hits all your creatures. 

The best thing Life has going for it is Guardian Angel, but it's unreliable. Everything else gets repeated by a trait or spell often with a better version. Chastise is unique, but the calculations to damage make it odd, even at maximum rank. One heal could do 3,000 damage on one cast, and the same heal the next round could do 30,000. It's also difficult to target the entire enemy team with a heal.

I don´t wanna say that Life Mage is good, I´m going to change ASAP.
Work on Yseros rep then. You'll also need a whopping 50 emblems. :(

Offline Michael

• View Profile
Life becomes interesting into late game. Theres one Ophan that doubles intelligence when using life spell gems and the trait of Caritas Sanctus gives insane Barriers and healing.
The problem is - every other class has access to those same creatures. It's not like it's a unique feature to being a Life Mage like having 12x Waspids for a Nature Mage or gaining Saia as a Death Mage. So what, in your opinion makes Life Mage so special?

Barriers that cap out at 50% of your creatures' HP isn't very good when spells like Holy Bulwark can do the exact same thing and moreso - you'll easily reach the standard 200% Barrier cap by casting that, and it hits all your creatures. 

The best thing Life has going for it is Guardian Angel, but it's unreliable. Everything else gets repeated by a trait or spell often with a better version. Chastise is unique, but the calculations to damage make it odd, even at maximum rank. One heal could do 3,000 damage on one cast, and the same heal the next round could do 30,000. It's also difficult to target the entire enemy team with a heal.

I don´t wanna say that Life Mage is good, I´m going to change ASAP.

Offline Psylisa

• View Profile

Offline Michael

• View Profile

Offline Karp

• View Profile
Started Chaos and cruised through the main story, but as I kept finding new teammates and traits, I switched over to Sorc because it complements my guys way better.

Offline Michael

• View Profile
I choose Life and think it is so weak that it barrely can stand anything. Some good perks, but it needs something like "Healing"-Spell Gems costs no Mana or something.

At the first chance I change to Chaos or Sorcery.

Offline wolfgirl5000

• View Profile
@Visio: that's a good point about extraction, I didn't consider that. Autocasting does lag the start of battles down considerably like in S2, so I completely agree with you.

I like the streamlined selection of perks actually, especially the character perks being done away with. Balancing all perks to be useful might be better than adding new ones, but I think that about creatures as well, haha.

Offline Visio

• View Profile
to wolf:
Sorc
cant agree at all that autocasting is top tier. you cant extract/you miss out on itherians/singular/its generally way slower then speed-based manual casting.
extra mana opens up for some crazy builds

But basically finishing the story was alway been finishing the tutorial, can see how it all will really work out, cant unlock full potential of perks.
-----------------
I think sorcery and chaos are two potentially most overwhelming classes. Though some perks might seem useless (like completely - for chaos its chaos magic and touch of chaos, since they are tied to 'when attack' and also carry random unpredictable effects that can actually gimp your battles, so should be avoided)

I actually wonder will there be more perks to unlock? cuz that selection seem underwhelming and also can be maxxed. Though again my doubts with chaos- maxxing all perks will gimp your group, so hope nothing is walled behind fully max all the perks.

Offline wolfgirl5000

• View Profile
I finished the game & some of the post game with 3 different saves now; sorcery, nature & death:

sorcery: extra mana, spell slots, equipping all gems... since autocasting & spells are top tier, so is sorcery, probably stronger than nature after all. doesn't need many points to get going either

nature: speed isn't as easily converted into damage as previously but the stat stacking has become more powerful now that you can turn any creature into any class via items (which makes teambuilding a lot less interesting in my opinion, hate that item)

death: as this game is mostly about using your team to boost a singular creature to be overpowered, Saia fits right in with her ridiculous artifact upgrade. I found all the summon related perks useless as having access to many artifacts via other party members is much stronger. death having some of the more damaging single/all creature spells really helps. I was expecting Saia to look like some necromancer/vampire queen of death though, so getting her was a bit of a strain to the eye.

life obviously sucks, and I'd love to hear whether going all out on critical is damaging at all as chaos, intuitively it doesn't seem like it.

Offline Psylisa

• View Profile
I took nature because I knew I wanted to have a few different race based teams and Nature is the best for those hands down. I'm currently happy with the choice though I will try Death mage evetually because it looks unique and fun.

Sorc mage looks like autocasting S2 all over again, not really interested in that. Life seems weakest. Chaos seems solid.
Sorc isn't about auto-casting, it's about having options with your spell gems and ensuring your creatures can actually cast.
There's some stuff to double/triple cast of course, but it's still manual if you want it to be.

Offline robertleva

• View Profile
I took nature because I knew I wanted to have a few different race based teams and Nature is the best for those hands down. I'm currently happy with the choice though I will try Death mage evetually because it looks unique and fun.

Sorc mage looks like autocasting S2 all over again, not really interested in that. Life seems weakest. Chaos seems solid.

Offline toddyaraujo

• View Profile
i've started with life, but then i bought the game to my brother and he choose life as well...
then i've changed to sorcery. It started slowly, but when i got the djinn (the one who up his dmg for each spent mana) paired with a chain lightning gem the game became too easy.
i've breezed from floor 12 to 24 with now hiccups at all, now i'm getting a bit of trouble with faster creatures, but still, that pair is too strong imo

Offline Visio

• View Profile
tbh all siralim games i never played anything but chaos. dont understand why ppl chose something else too :P
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:45:43 PM by Visio »