Thylacine Studios - Forum

Add a gender-neutral title for the player  (Read 2750 times)

Offline theluxx

• View Profile
Re: Add a gender-neutral title for the player
Reply #7 June 23, 2016, 05:18:49 AM
How does it help sales?

At the start you are given the option to choose your gender, later in the game you are given the option to change your gender, later you also have the option to change your sprite's appearance without having to change your gender. You have a lot of freedoms of how you wan to present your character regardless of how you want your character to be addressed, which could possibly be more empowering than just being considered gender neutral.

Offline random_rolle

• View Profile
Reply #6 June 23, 2016, 05:14:34 AM
Gee people, get a grip, noone is complaining. If it helps sales why not.

Add the title Ruler, there you go, gender neutral. How would that detriment for anyone. The graphics are already gender neutral for the ruler/king/queen. And you get plenty more options later.

Should be a no-brainer really, but some people have to be anti-stuff anyway.

Offline nobogui

• View Profile
Reply #5 June 23, 2016, 05:12:31 AM
What's next? You'll complain that every character in the game is white?  :-X

+1'd.  Maybe we could also put some safe spaces in the realms where you aren't harassed by monsters.

Offline jamosup

• View Profile
Reply #4 June 23, 2016, 04:41:38 AM
I wasn't trying to complain, I was just making a friendly suggestion. (And I don't appreciate the uncalled for mocking of people who ask for racial inclusiveness in games, either.)

I'm not going to get into a long, drawn-out argument about this in the topic, but please, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all. All complaining about me making a suggestion (and again, this wasn't an attack, I'm not calling the game offensive or trying to boycott it) does is make a fool of yourself.

Offline theluxx

• View Profile
Reply #3 June 23, 2016, 03:54:51 AM

Offline Umaro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reply #2 June 23, 2016, 03:30:12 AM

Offline jamosup

• View Profile
Add a gender-neutral title for the player
Reply #1 June 23, 2016, 02:27:41 AM
This doesn't apply to me, personally, but I've been thinking about this for a while. Including a gender-neutral title for the player character seems like something that would easy to add and could make a big difference to potential players who don't identify as male or female. I'm unfamiliar with gender-neutral royal titles, however, the best I can think of is "monarch". If someone has a better suggestion for this, feel free to post one.

On a similar note, I've always found the initial conversation with Vertraag when you start the game where he is confused whether you are a king or queen rather awkwardly worded - maybe he should just ask you what your gender is rather than fumbling and calling you a "king" initially.

I'm not sure how difficult adding another title is, but it seemed like something pretty simple to do, and it might make a big difference to someone in a world where most games don't have this option. :)